Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Girl on the Train Paula Hawkins

Title: The Girl on the Train 
Author: Paula Hawkins 
Rating: 3.5 Stars 
Synopsis: Rachel is just your average commuter. Traveling to London every morning on the 8:05 and back to Ashbury each evening on the 17:56. At first glance you wouldn't even notice her, sitting quietly with a drink in her hand, her face pressed to the glass, staring out at the houses across from the tracks. You wouldn't know that she doesn't actually have a job waiting for her in London, you wouldn't know that the drink in her travel mug is probably not something the average commuter would sip on that early in the morning, and you certainly wouldn't know that she has her own motives for being so interested in the cozy houses across the tracks.  
Then one day she sees something, something that shocks her and rattles the imaginary world she has been existing in. She can't ignore it so she goes to the police, but they don't tend to take early morning drunks very seriously, do they? She feels she has to do something more, something useful....Soon she finds herself in the center of a murder investigation and deeply entangled in the lives of everyone involved. 
Review: This mystery was the ultimate example of trying to piece together a tale from the perspective of unreliable narrators. Told in alternating POV with an extremely mixed up timeline, it is more than essential to pay close attention to the headers of each chapter, to try and place yourself in the story. At times I found this cumbersome and found myself going back to see what month we were in, what day. However there were also times when this added to the suspense and made the big reveal so much more anticipated.  
I will admit that I figured out the plot twist before it was truly revealed but it wasn't the type of absolute certainty that makes the rest of the story lackluster, I truly believed up until the very end that I could be wrong, that there could be something I had missed, but I wasn't wrong and I didn't miss anything, which was almost disappointing in a way.  
It was a good story and a decent mystery but I can't help but feel that the ending was a bit underwhelming. I almost wish I had waited for the movie as I think that letting this story play out on screen may have been more interesting and less revealing. All in all if your a fan of psychological thrillers this is definitely one to check out, just don't be surprised if you figure it out before Rachel does.  






No comments:

Post a Comment